[ntp:questions] NTP.ORG MEINBERG KEEP TIME ACCURATE to 10MS

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Nov 13 22:11:22 UTC 2012

On Nov 13, 2012, at 1:24 PM, gbusenberg at yahoo.com wrote:
> I am not sure if this is possible.  I have a requirement from a customer that the time must be within 10ms of the parent server which is on the same LAN.

That should be easily doable with most platforms; VMs are more troublesome, however.

> I have tried several different things without an luck.  NTP Time seems to get up to 400ms with defaults.

What are you measuring when you say "400 ms"?  ntpq output, perhaps?

> I have tried to put the following within my ntp.conf file
>
> tinker panic 0 step .3 stepout 60
> driftfile <default>
> server 10.1.126.204 iburst minpoll 5
> server 127.127.1.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12
>
> If it is not possible to do 10ms, then I want to get the time as close as possible.  I really don't know much about NTP.  I have tried my best to search the web as much as possible however most people inclucding myself never use the tinker other than with panic 0.

The only place I've seen "tinker panic 0" and variants recommended is in VMware
or similar virtualization docs.  Kill the tinker line, unless you are using a VM.

Set up at least three local timeservers and use at least one non-local timesource;
get rid of the 127.127.1.0 entries for the undisciplined local clock.

Regards,
--
-Chuck