[ntp:questions] NTP.ORG MEINBERG KEEP TIME ACCURATE to 10MS

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 15 00:32:37 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 12:02 AM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
> gbusenberg at yahoo.com wrote:
>> I am now left with two lines in ntp.conf
>> driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
>> server 10.1.126.204 iburst minpoll 5
>
> There have been plenty of improvemnets since 4.2.6p5 circa 2011Dec24
> <http://www.davehart.net/ntp/win/x86/ntp-4.2.7p310-win-x86-debug-bin.zip>
> <http://www.davehart.net/ntp/win/x86/ntp-4.2.7p310-win-x86-debug-sym.zip>
>
> # ALL (Clients and/or Servers)
> #  Start the Service with C:\Program Files\NTP\bin\ntpd.exe -U 3 -M -g -c "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.conf"
> #   the -g will prevent a panic stop if the time needs to be steped when started
>
> # ntp.conf
> driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
> statsdir "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\"
> enable monitor
> enable stats
> statistics loopstats peerstats
> keys "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M YOUR_MD5_KEY
> trustedkey 123
> tos cohort 1 orphan 11
> restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict source nomodify
> broadcastclient
> manycastserver  224.0.1.1
> multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
> manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
> pool pool.ntp.org preempt                # Won't hurt anything if the internet can't be reached
> server 10.1.126.204 iburst key 123
>
> # If you address the server by name append preempt
> # Let NTP worry about the minpoll and maxpoll for LAN devices
>
> # They should all try to sync to 10.1.126.204
> #  If they can't reach 10.1.126.204 they should all try to stick together
>
> # NTP expects to be run continuously; After a Boot/Reboot/Restart/...
> #  give the systems 30 minutes to stabilize polls and temperature
> #   before expecting too much from the ntpq stats

30 minutes is more than a little optimistic!  NTPD needs something like
ten hours to stabilize with the best time you are going to get.  Thirty
minutes after startup is about when NTPD gets days, hours, and minutes
right.  The next nine and a half hours will be devoted to improve the
accuracy.

This should suggest to you that NTDP should be run 24 hours a day, seven
days a week. . . . .

It's not always possible, but TRY!