[ntp:questions] Enclosure for Sure Electronics GPS board

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Nov 15 14:58:11 UTC 2012

On 15/11/2012 12:52, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
> David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
[]
>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/eddystone-die-cast-aluminium-shallow-lid-thin-wall-43713
>
> That looks very cool, I am a bit scared of making holes in
> metal cases, though. Even with plastic this can be complicated
> enough, if you don't have any special tools.

I have just a hand drill and some files - nothing "fancy".  I find
plastic worse than metal owing to its tendency to crack.  Aluminium is
rather nice to work.

>> I also have a second sure board, inside an anti-static bag, inside a
>> thick black bag (to stop the blue LED's light!).  Works fine.
>
> Actually I think I will connect another LED and use a non-transparent
> case, because actually I do want the 1-second blink. But not so
> bright that it is distracting at night. I suppose connecting
> another "normal" red LED to the PPS output cant' be a problem.
>
> /ralph

Yes, I wanted the blink as well (and the red and yellow have also proved
useful in diagnosing problems).  I used a small "light pipe" to bring
out the LED emissions to the top of the case.  I centred the pipe (just
some thick heat-shrink tubing) not over the blue LED, but its light gets
through well enough!  I expect the PPS output could source enough
current for a low-power LED, but if I were doing that I would use a
similar LED and series current-limit resistor as they have for driving
the blue LED.
--
Cheers,
David