[ntp:questions] why does asterisk still show after the ntp server is shutdown?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Nov 16 11:38:26 UTC 2012

Jun Hu wrote:

>      remote                      refid            st t when poll reach   delay     offset      jitter
> *192.168.227.148 LOCAL(0)        12 u  197      64  370       0.205   36.638   2.993
>

> My expected is that  the "*" should be disappeared  after Server A shutdown , Is it right?
>

> why does asterisk still show after the ntp server is shutdown?

You've only lost three of the last 8 samples from that server.  You will
have to wait until there are rather less recent samples available before
it gets disqualified.

Also, I have a feeling that, if it is the only one, it may stay selected
until the root dispersion grows too large, as it was the last valid
system peer and the estimated error is still acceptable (downstream
systems can make their own judgements, based on root dispersion, as to
whether or not to trust it).