[ntp:questions] Updating NTP on FreeBSD 8.x

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Nov 19 04:51:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-18, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18/11/2012 00:27, Thomas Laus wrote:
>
>> The FreeBSD port maintainer is the one that keeps up with updating
>> the port when new versions become available.
>
> ... I guess I just have to wait if I use the portmaster route.

You don't. Just update the port to the current version of ntp-devel.
Doing so usually works unless there is a significant enough change in
the port codebase to "break" the port.

Here's how:

1. cd /usr/ports/net/ntp-devel

2. Edit the Makefile and update the version string

3. Run this command while still in the ntp-devel directory:

	make makesum

4. Now run portmaster

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>