[ntp:questions] setting the time/frequency before starting ntpd to avoid slow convergence (PPS)

Sat Oct 13 01:55:26 UTC 2012

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Once you have your clock running, leave it running 24x365.

Not that I'd be necessarily inclined to use gabs solution.

I see what I suspect are perhaps similar situations all the time.

 Hundreds of boxes, {actually more than three thousand in one case}
  in a desert, (or arctic area)
  with a solar panels for the only primary power,
  sometimes spotty wireless comm with / between each other
   {mesh or cell groups, sometimes no backhaul},

  The embedded systems have to do the best they can,
   with the resources they have, when they are available;

    ... and they run out of power often enough.

  will be added to the BlackLists.