[ntp:questions] setting the time/frequency before starting ntpd to avoid slow convergence (PPS)

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Oct 13 03:49:24 UTC 2012

On 13/10/2012 00:25, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 6:25 PM, gabs wrote:
>> Instead of waiting several minutes (hours?) to reach microsecond
>> offsets, I've been using a chrony-like
> method to set the time and frequency before starting ntpd:
>>
> It's hours!  About ten hours to get the best time the system is capable of!
[]
As I've mentioned before, 10 hours may be much longer than is needed for
some systems.  Many PCs here settle to the best they can reach within a
few minutes, but I am referring to Windows PCs either with a local time
source (GPS/PPS), or with a short polling interval to LAN-based
stratum-1 servers.  But these are not "microsecond offset" systems.

BTW: I now have one Windows-8 system which is Wi-Fi connected and
showing very good performance, doubtless due in part to the new precise
GetSystemTime function call.  On the other hand, I have another Wi-Fi
connected WIndows-8 PC which has "average" performance.  How well Wi-Fi
works seems to be a little luck of the draw....
--
Cheers,
David