[ntp:questions] Using ntpd with custom clock

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Oct 16 17:40:14 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Oct 15, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Felipe Blauth wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'd like to build a custom version of ntpd with a single change: instead
> of synchronizing with operating system clock, it would synchronize with a
> custom clock.

OK; ntpd is designed to do exactly that via refclock drivers.

ntpd doesn't normally sync to the OS clock, unless you insist by using the
local clock driver (which isn't recommended).

> I can mimic operating system calls (like gettimeofday and settimeofday).

That's OK-- you won't need to.

> I'm just starting out and would appreciate some directions on doing this.
> If someone could point me a file or a function, it would be of great help.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/howto.html

Regards,
--