[ntp:questions] Using ntpd with custom clock

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Tue Oct 16 20:11:11 UTC 2012

On 10/16/12 13:40, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Oct 15, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Felipe Blauth wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'd like to build a custom version of ntpd with a single change: instead
>> of synchronizing with operating system clock, it would synchronize with a
>> custom clock.
> OK; ntpd is designed to do exactly that via refclock drivers.
>
> ntpd doesn't normally sync to the OS clock, unless you insist by using the
> local clock driver (which isn't recommended).
>
>> I can mimic operating system calls (like gettimeofday and settimeofday).
> That's OK-- you won't need to.
>
>> I'm just starting out and would appreciate some directions on doing this.
>> If someone could point me a file or a function, it would be of great help.
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/howto.html
>
> Regards,

I think the original poster is asking to do something a little bit
different than the usual. If I am reading it right, he is not asking how
to get ntpd to read a custom clock as a source of time (which as noted
is what a refclock is for). I think he is asking how to get ntpd to
*set* a custom clock, treating it as it would the system clock, so as to
sync the custom clock with the upstream NTP server time.

Brian Utterback

--
blu

violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
Brian Utterback - Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.
Ph:603-262-3916, Em:brian.utterback at oracle.com