[ntp:questions] Using ntpd with custom clock

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Oct 16 20:09:25 UTC 2012

Felipe Blauth wrote:

> I'd like to build a custom version of ntpd with a single change: instead
> of synchronizing with operating system clock, it would synchronize with a

Synchronise with, or just synchronise?

If the former, then it is just another reference clock driver.  If the
latter, I believe the source code tries to abstract the OS kernel
interface, and the file that does that should be fairly obvious, on
inspection.

Please note that the higher precision parts of the software clock
synchronisation are done in the kernel.  If you don't use that
interface, ntpd will only correct the clock frequency once a second.