[ntp:questions] NTP.POOL.ORG Server is a shadowserver

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Oct 18 17:12:07 UTC 2012

On 10/18/2012 12:36 PM, Rob wrote:
> a lot of other protocols are used by botnets to
> hide their communications, including HTTP, HTTPS, DNS.  There is
> really no reason why it cannot be NTP.

Those are all extremely likely to be allowed to pass through firewalls
supporting public access. NTP, much less so. Panera Bread offers free
WiFi so people can browse the web, not sync with an NTP server.

Although, I shouldn't be surprised that someone who incorrectly uses the
example.com domain, causing unnecessary traffic to be sent to IANA
because they don't know how to use a spam filter, would be selfish about
protecting themselves at the expense of others.