[ntp:questions] NTP compiled with Visual Studio 2010 doesn't run on Windows 2000

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:43:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 07:32 UTC, David Taylor wrote:
> Just for your information - NTP compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
> doesn't run on Windows 2000.  This is a known issue with VS 2010. However,
> for those of you using Dave Hart's binaries, those /do/ run correctly on
> Windows 2000.  Perhaps he's using an earlier Visual Studio?

That's surprising and welcome news to me.  The binaries I post are
built using Visual C++ 2008 EE.  The source also supports being built
with the older VC/VS 2005 compiler, which is not available gratis.  My
understanding, apparently mistaken, was that VC++ 2008 was the first
version of the compiler which produced binaries that did not work on
Windows 2000 due to C runtime dependency on newer OS capabilities.
Your experience suggests that (at least for ntpd and friends) VC++
2008 produces Windows 2000-compatible binaries.

For those using VC++ 2010, do not use the Batch Build functionality.
It's hopelessly broken, building both debug and release directories
using the same settings, rather than respecting their differences.  In
a sign of just how far Microsoft has fallen, the admittedly broken
functionality is neither removed nor will it be repaired, at least not
until the following major version.  This willingness to foist
regressions on customers while rejecting the possibility of fixes is
incredibly sad for me personally.

Cheers,
Dave Hart