[ntp:questions] NTP tunning for OWD measurements

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Oct 26 14:44:04 UTC 2012

pret3nder at gmail.com wrote:

> my name is Pedro Queirós and I'm currently working on my master
> thesis
+ related to open source probes to measure the QoS of internet link.

[ Your lines are too long. In internet mail, and other standards based
on it, CRLF delimits lines, not paragraphs. ]

> One of the tools I'm using is OWAMP
+ (http://www.internet2.edu/performance/owamp/), to measure one-way delay
+ between hosts. This tool requires NTP running and synchronizing clocks
+ so that it can measure correctly (to a certain point) the one-way delay
+ between hosts.

You need directly attached radio clocks, and for GPS, you will need PPS.
   You will need these on the actual machine, although, if you have
older Ethernet hardware, the same LAN may be better than nothing.  NTP
cannot correct for systematic one way delays.