[ntp:questions] NTP tunning for OWD measurements

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Sat Oct 27 14:04:47 UTC 2012

pret3nder at gmail.com wrote:
> An NREN is a National Research and Education Network.
> We are talking about 26 servers spread all over the country
> and in the islands, so your figures are a bit off, I'm afraid. $50
> don't cover the expenses associated with getting a GPS for every
> single server, and like I said before, it's simply undoable.

OK, assuming everything you've told us is correct, the replies are just
as valid:

The crux is this: You _MUST_ have a path to an absolute time reference,
at both ends, which is totally independent of the path you are trying to
measure!

I.e. if both endpoints have S1 servers local to them, then this can
work, but if either end needs to use the same network link for both time
sync (ntp) and delay measurements, then that pair of end nodes will give
invalid results.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>