[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Oct 28 06:55:58 UTC 2012

I am at the very early stages of building a small stratum-1 NTP server
using a Linux box (Raspberry Pi).  A Trimble GPS is connected via USB
(yes, I know I will need an interrupt-driven pin for the PPS), and if I
install gpsd I can see the output from the GPS with the cgps -s command.

How do I tell NTP to look at the GPS device?  Does it look at gpsd, and
will it expect to see Trimble or gpsd data?  Searching the Internet
seems to suggest adding a shared memory driver:

   server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
   fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 -0.245 refid GPS stratum 15

but I've tried that and I get zero connectivity to SHM(0).  Perhaps that
driver isn't in the NTP built for the Raspberry Pi, in which case my
next question is how to rebuild and reinstall NTP for the Raspberry Pi
Linux (A Debian variant).  I know virtually nothing about Linux.
--
Thanks,
David