[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Oct 28 14:44:58 UTC 2012

On 28/10/2012 11:40, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
> I've got a Raspi on order for the same thing: dedicated NTP server.
> When you get it to run, could you please post how you did it,
> even if you point out only a few of the hard things?
>
> I think I am not the only one who wants to try this, especially power
> consumption oft the Raspi makes it a likely candidate for servers
> running 24/7, like ntpd.
>
> TIA
> /ralph

Yes, I'm writing up my progress step-by-step mainly for my own benefit
but it may help others as well.  So far I have got as far as getting NTP
to see the serial/USB data stream from the GPS, and the next step will
be to try and get the Kernel responding to a PPS interrupt.  Someone has
done this already, but for an older version of the kernel to the one I
have.  My notes are here:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html

I don't yet know whether the gpsd/kernel-PPS is the correct way to go,
whether you can even combine those two drivers.
--
Cheers,
David