[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sun Oct 28 22:20:11 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-28, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Lose the "minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 "!

Well, no, standard advice for refclocks is exactly that. get the time
every 16 sec.

> It may not be causing your problems but but I doubt that it's
> helping matters any!
>
> The NTP software should pick the best clock(s) from those offered!

You know what the best clock is-- the pps intervals.

> NTPD will adjust the polling intervals to suit the current
> conditions.  The short poll interval will correct the large errors
> quickly.  The longer poll intervals will be used to "fine tune".

Not really. The ntpd poll stretching is used to minimize the network
traffic on ntp servers. That is not a problem here. Longer poll
intervals are better (up to a point) for getting the rate of the local
clock better, but it leaves the local time worse off. With pps you are
better off getting the time right. A local refclock is not the same as a
networked ntp server.