[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

Kennedy, Paul P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au
Mon Oct 29 00:06:47 UTC 2012

Hi Dave,
read through this thread and there does not seem to be any reference to
the good work by the folks at:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1970&start=150

There are several folks with the pi running as an ntp server. I have had
a unit in soak test over a month now without hitch.

some notes:

1. I did use not gpsd.  Instead I use direct PPS + Serial RS232 off the
GPIO bus.  I used the Sure gps as it has the 3.3v serial output which is
all the GPIO bus will accept. 5V from a Trimble will cook your pi (been
there already)
2. I have a USB GPS as secondary, but the serial has not missed a beat
3. I needed the patched kernel which handles the pps on GPIO pin16 -
this was the most curly part.
4. I had to recompile ntpd so it would display a few more decimal places
of precision (nice).  The biggest step out I have noted is a few
microseconds. Generally it is good +/- 2 microsecs.
5. I made a couple of web pages so I could keep an eye on it (and the
raw inputs) in a browser. http://secondthoughts.no-ip.org/ntp
6. You can see the raw data from both the serial (NMEA) and GPIO (PPS)
at: http://secondthoughts.no-ip.org/ntp/page-ntpqc.php
7. I also expose the live output of ntpq-p and my current ntp.conf file
at that link, so you can see for yourself the stability.

The thing that I really like about the pi is the low power and silence.
All of a sudden, I can run an ntp server, host web pages, and develop
using 2 watts of power.

I heard a rumour the ethernet port on the pi is serviced as part of the
USB port, and has a 1 millisecond interrupt interval.  I tried to read
up on this, and did see something to that effect, but it is still very
vague to me.  So although the pi's clock is good to a couple of
microsoconds (for more than a month) It really needs some testing to see
if the ethernet is the achilles heal.  Not much fun having a very stable
server if it cannot serve very accurately! (that is the important bit of
this mail ;-)

regards
pk