[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Oct 29 07:47:13 UTC 2012

On 29/10/2012 06:36, A C wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 22:36, David Taylor wrote:
>> On 29/10/2012 03:32, A C wrote:
>> []
>>> Check the main ntpd log for error messages.
>>
>> I would if I knew where to find it!
>
> If it's based off Debian then it's usually /var/log/ or /var/log/ntpd/
> otherwise find / -name ntpd.log should answer your question :)

Thanks, A C.  Yes, it's Debian-based, but there's no ntpd.log anywhere
on the system.  I checked the locations you mentioned and tried the find
command.

I've now managed to get a recent NTP to compile (takes about 25
minutes), and I would install it except that the page I have says it
will install to:

   /usr/local/bin/ntpd

as as there's nothing there at the moment I don't see how that would
replace the existing version....

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1970&start=25
says:

___________________________
mkdir build                # make a convenient working directory
cd build
wget
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.2/ntp-4.2.6p5.tar.gz
tar xvfz ntp-4.2.6p5.tar.gz
cd ntp-4.2.6p5/
./configure --enable-ATOM  # takes about 45 minutes
make                       # takes over 1 hour
sudo apt-get remove ntp    # get rid of previously existing install of ntpd
sudo make install      # puts ntpd in /usr/local/bin/ntpdmkdir build
             # make a convenient working directory
cd build
wget
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.2/ntp-4.2.6p5.tar.gz
tar xvfz ntp-4.2.6p5.tar.gz
cd ntp-4.2.6p5/
./configure --enable-ATOM  # takes about 45 minutes
make                       # takes over 1 hour
sudo apt-get remove ntp    # get rid of previously existing install of ntpd
sudo make install      # puts ntpd in /usr/local/bin/ntpd

I used ntp-4.2.7p314.tar.gz as I had that compiled and running on
Windows.  Maybe the instructions are out of date?
--
Cheers,
David