[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Oct 29 14:44:27 UTC 2012

On 29/10/2012 12:00, Kennedy, Paul wrote:
> Hi
> I did not encounter this, but I would try the following...
>
> ps -e | grep ntpd
>
> To see if ntp is accidentally running already
>
> sudo chmod 777 /usr/sbin/ntpd
>
> To make sure the root user (that's the one who runs 'services' has permission to run ntpd.
>
> My guess is the latter.
>
> If you get more grief from the atom driver, maybe try the NMEA RMC. Works a treat for me.
>
> Good luck
> Pk

Thanks, Paul.  I tried the chmod but it made no difference.  The data
from the GPS is TSIP format coming in over USB and being decoded by
gpsd, so perhaps the NMEA driver might be a little confused!  I suppose
gpsd doesn't send out RMC sentences to some pseudo serial port?

So it's sort-of working with 4.2.7p314 except:

1 - I need to start from a console Window as automatic start-up fails

2 - if I try and compile with the flags for automatic start-up the make
fails due a missing file: sys/capability.h.  Happens with both 4.2.6p5
and 4.2.7p314.

3 - Even though gpsd runs on boot, NTP connects to it only
intermittently, and even running cgps -s it seems to take one or two
cycles before the contents of the GPS are displayed.

When it works, the performance is excellent - look at 09:30-11:00 here:
   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_raspi-1.php
The PPS(0) server shows with a "o" against it, indication a working PPS
lock.  I'll leave it running for a while (from 14:30 UTC) so that I can
see the excellent performance.

It's very close now, so thanks to everyone for their help so far.  I've
learned a lot in the last few days and documented it for others.
--
Cheers,
David