[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Oct 29 15:50:31 UTC 2012

On 29/10/2012 15:09, John Hasler wrote:
> David Taylor writes:
>> if I try and compile with the flags for automatic start-up the make
>> fails due a missing file: sys/capability.h.  Happens with both 4.2.6p5
>> and 4.2.7p314.
>
> Install the linux-headers package appropriate to your kernel.

Thanks, John.  Fixed with:

   $ sudo apt-get install libcap-dev

I do find it confusing that some headers are there, but not others.
Perhaps part of making the Raspberry Pi a minimal system?  At least NTP
is now coming up after a reboot, and with PPS!

I took your advice about altering the init.d script, but it's obviously
a little more complicated than that as when you try and stop NTP it
can't find the process.  For the moment I'm not worrying about that.  It
still leaves the issue of why it doesn't connect to gpsd or, if it is
connecting, why it sees no valid timestamps.  While I run cgps NTP sees
data from gpsd, but not otherwise.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
--
Cheers,