[ntp:questions] pool cmd in ntp.conf

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Sep 8 19:04:35 UTC 2012

With earlier version of ntpd, using:

  pool us.pool.ntp.org.

gave me three servers in ntpq -p output.

Now (4.2.7p) ntpq -p just reports:

 us.pool.ntp.org .POOL.  16 p  -  64  0  0.000  0.000  0.000

I cannot find anything in the docs suggesting this changed, or an
explanation of how to translate the above into what, if anything,
is wrong.

There are some pool-related notes in syslog, of the form:

 [ntpd] Soliciting pool server 64.73.32.134_

There is about one such line per minute, with different IPs.

ntpdate -d tells me that the servers so mentioned do serve ntp, and that
my box is 2 to 3 ms off from most them.

(I have one server line in addtion to the pool line; ntpq report approx
160 us offset from that server.)

Is the .POOL. report intentional?

A packet trace suggests that it is communicating with the pool servers.

-JimC