[ntp:questions] Testing throughput in NTP servers

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at invalid.com
Fri Sep 14 18:57:32 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-12 21:24, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> On 9/12/2012 2:34 PM, unruh wrote:
>> On 2012-09-12, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf at invalid.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone knows if there are any available Linux based S/W to test the
>>> throughput of NTP servers?
>>> I.E:
>>>
>>>     packets per second?
>>>     % of lost packets
>>>     etc?
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Ulf Samuelsson
>>
>> I hope not. I can just see someone deciding to test one of the stratum 1
>> main servers (eg at the usno) Why in the world would you want this?
>>

> Sigh!  I'm sure it has happened and will happen again!  I'm sure that
> there are people complaining to the National Bureau of Standards or
> the Naval Observatory that their time is incorrect! ;-)
>
> If you really want time with better than micro-second accuracy, consider
> get a GPS Timing receiver. The one I bought several years
> ago claimed 50 nanosecond plus or minus of the correct time.

The NTP server we will be testing will be connected to a Cesium clock
providing a 1pps pulse so that is really not my problem.
I want to check if this system can handle DDoS attacks, and bad packets.
This will be done in a lab environment, possibly point-to-point from
the test machine, to the server, or maybe

In order to test DDoS, probably some FPGA H/W is needed to generate good
packets, and the S/W stuff is there to generate bad packets and
check how the server reacts to those

Recording the packets will be done with FPGA H/W as well.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson