[ntp:questions] What exactly happens to ntpd if it is made to run and no server address is given in the ntp.conf file?

Tue Sep 25 21:52:42 UTC 2012

Arpith Nayak wrote:
> Also, does ntpd search for an NTP server in the network
>  accessible by it if no server is specified?
> Can we implement this functionality if not available?

You can do something like:
# ALL (Clients and/or Servers)
tos cohort 1 orphan 11
restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict source nomodify
keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M YOUR_MD5_KEY
trustedkey 123
manycastserver  224.0.1.1
manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
broadcastclient

  will be added to the BlackLists.