[ntp:questions] Two issues updating FreeBSD 8.2 with portmaster

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Wed Sep 26 13:03:06 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-26, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> I tried to update my FreeBSD 8.2 to the latest NTP development (in
> excess of 300), but failed on two counts.  Am I doing something wrong?
>
> 1 - The version obtained was the same as my installed version:
> ntp-4.2.7p255, whereas the current development version is in excess of
> ntp-4.2.7p300.  The commands I used were:
>
> 	  # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
> 	  # portmaster net/ntp-devel
>
> Do I need to do something to tell portmaster to update its list of
> current versions?  I had understood this was automatic.

Have you updated your ports tree with either csup or cvsup from one of
the update servers?

I see:

PORTVERSION=    4.2.7p304

In the ntp-devel port Makefile on my FreeBSD system.  The FreeBSD
ports system tree requires updating from time to time.

> 2 - Although this version appears to compile correctly, I got an error
> message:
>
> Making all in tests
>===>>> Creating a backup package for old version ntp-4.2.7p255
> tar: man/man8/ntpsnmpd.8.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
> pkg_create: make_dist: tar command failed with code 256
>
>===>>> Package creation failed for ntp-4.2.7p255!
>
>===>>> Ignore this error  [i]
>===>>> Abort              [a]
>
> whereas when I ran this in February this year I don't recall getting the
> same error.  I'm not at all familiar with FreeBSD to know whether this
> error can be safely ignored, or whether it indicates a significant
> problem.  I was logged in as root at the time.

Have you always used portmaster or have some of your programs been
installed from packages?  It is not a good idea to mix and match
because of the way the package builder configures the dependancy
options.  When you configure a port, the system saves your
confiuration options in /var/db/pkg and remembers it the next time
that port is built by you.  The packages are normally built to include the
most common options.  You may not want IPV6 support or the docs for
the port and 'de-select' it.  At a later date you may rebuild the port
that was first installed as a package and not have selected the same
options as the packager did.  This leads to messages like yours.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1