[ntp:questions] Two issues updating FreeBSD 8.2 with portmaster

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Sep 26 14:02:52 UTC 2012

On 26/09/2012 14:03, Thomas Laus wrote:
> On 2012-09-26, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
[]
>> Do I need to do something to tell portmaster to update its list of
>> current versions?  I had understood this was automatic.
>>
> Have you updated your ports tree with either csup or cvsup from one of
> the update servers?
>
> I see:
>
> PORTVERSION=    4.2.7p304
>
> In the ntp-devel port Makefile on my FreeBSD system.  The FreeBSD
> ports system tree requires updating from time to time.
[]

Thanks, Tom.  No, I've not done that, nor do I know how to do the
update.  Could I trouble you for the precise command, and in what
directory I should run it.  I know very little about FreeBSD!  I have
just checked and I do have a csup command available, but I wouldn't know
what to put in the <supfile>.  All (I think) I need an update for is
NTP, and I'm in the UK if that makes any difference....

> Have you always used portmaster or have some of your programs been
> installed from packages?  It is not a good idea to mix and match
> because of the way the package builder configures the dependancy
> options.  When you configure a port, the system saves your
> confiuration options in /var/db/pkg and remembers it the next time
> that port is built by you.  The packages are normally built to include the
> most common options.  You may not want IPV6 support or the docs for
> the port and 'de-select' it.  At a later date you may rebuild the port
> that was first installed as a package and not have selected the same
> options as the packager did.  This leads to messages like yours.
>
> Tom

I only used portmaster twice before, and have never used any other
update method.  The only possible package install was when I first
installed FreeBSD 8.0, and the updates since have been with portmaster.
  I haven't intentionally mixed the two.
--
Cheers,
David