[ntp:questions] Two issues updating FreeBSD 8.2 with portmaster

Ron Hahn ron.hahn at dhco.org
Wed Sep 26 18:48:43 UTC 2012

On 26/09/2012 15:02, David Taylor wrote:
> On 26/09/2012 14:03, Thomas Laus wrote:
>> On 2012-09-26, David Taylor
>> <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> []
>>> Do I need to do something to tell portmaster to update its list
>>> of current versions?  I had understood this was automatic.
>>>
>> Have you updated your ports tree with either csup or cvsup from
>> one of the update servers?
>>
>> I see:
>>
>> PORTVERSION=    4.2.7p304
>>
>> In the ntp-devel port Makefile on my FreeBSD system.  The
>> FreeBSD ports system tree requires updating from time to time.
> []
>
> Thanks, Tom.  No, I've not done that, nor do I know how to do the
> update.  Could I trouble you for the precise command, and in what
> directory I should run it.  I know very little about FreeBSD!  I
> have just checked and I do have a csup command available, but I
> wouldn't know what to put in the <supfile>.  All (I think) I need
> an update for is NTP, and I'm in the UK if that makes any
> difference....
>
>> Have you always used portmaster or have some of your programs
>> been installed from packages?  It is not a good idea to mix and
>> match because of the way the package builder configures the
>> dependancy options.  When you configure a port, the system saves
>> your confiuration options in /var/db/pkg and remembers it the
>> next time that port is built by you.  The packages are normally
>> built to include the most common options.  You may not want IPV6
>> support or the docs for the port and 'de-select' it.  At a later
>> date you may rebuild the port that was first installed as a
>> package and not have selected the same options as the packager
>> did.  This leads to messages like yours.
>>
>> Tom
>
> I only used portmaster twice before, and have never used any other
> update method.  The only possible package install was when I first
> installed FreeBSD 8.0, and the updates since have been with
> portmaster. I haven't intentionally mixed the two.
Tom,

cd /usr/ports
portsnap fetch update
portmaster -L             ... to see if ntpd will be updated
portmaster -a             ... update all packages (subsitute for your
command for the packages you want to update)

I have seen instances where you have to run a "make deinstall" first
to get a package to install properly.

Hope that helps,

Ron

- --