[ntp:questions] NTP client configuration

Benjamin CABUT benjamin.cabut at rsacosmos.com
Thu Sep 27 06:08:32 UTC 2012

Hello,

We are using Meindberg NTP client and server.

Our configuration is:
- 1 Computer under windows that is server
server 127.127.1.0
broadcast 192.168.2.255 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst
disable auth
- several computer under linux + computers under windows, client of this
server:
server 192.168.2.250 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst
broadcastclient
disable auth

My problem is the following:
Mainly on windows computer, sometime, depending what the computer is
doing, there is a big offset between clients and server.
("Big" for me is more than 500ms).

I would like to know if it is possible to setup client so as soon as he
see offset>500ms, then client do a "fast" synch. (STEP).

Another way to solve my problem could be for me, to modify the source
code of my application in order to get this "offset" information inside
my code (C or C++ langage). then I could add this offset to the time of
the computer in order to be as much accurate as possible during the time
the offset is bigger than 500ms.

Do you have any solution?

Regards.

B CABUT