[ntp:questions] NTP client configuration

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Sep 27 18:39:20 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-27, Benjamin CABUT <benjamin.cabut at rsacosmos.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using Meindberg NTP client and server.
>
> Our configuration is:
> - 1 Computer under windows that is server
> server 127.127.1.0

Why would you be using a windows machine as your server. Windows is not
a great platform for time.

And why in the worl would you have it be using the local refclock. That
should never be used.  Where in the world is that computer getting its
time from?

> broadcast 192.168.2.255 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst
> disable auth
> - several computer under linux + computers under windows, client of this
> server:
> server 192.168.2.250 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst
> broadcastclient
> disable auth
>

> My problem is the following:
> Mainly on windows computer, sometime, depending what the computer is
> doing, there is a big offset between clients and server.
> ("Big" for me is more than 500ms).
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to setup client so as soon as he
> see offset>500ms, then client do a "fast" synch. (STEP).

If ntpd sees an offset of 128ms and it believes this is a valid offset,
it steps.

> Another way to solve my problem could be for me, to modify the source
> code of my application in order to get this "offset" information inside
> my code (C or C++ langage). then I could add this offset to the time of
> the computer in order to be as much accurate as possible during the time
> the offset is bigger than 500ms.

ntpd does its best to get a small offset. What makes yo uthing your C
program can do better? You have other problems. Worry about them, not
about rewriting ntpd.