[ntp:questions] NTP client configuration

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Sep 27 19:32:46 UTC 2012

On 27/09/2012 19:59, Benjamin CABUT wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> -> our time source is the local clock of one computer. wich I guess is
> accurate.
>      I mean, we don't need to get the correct time in our application,
> but we need that all computers shares the same time even if it wrong
> compared to UTC.
>
> -> you are right our problem is that ntpd takes time before accepting
> time is broken, and during all this time our software do not work well
> BUT I don't think the problem wome from the server (local clock).
> Because the problem happen on one client only, when this client computer
> is doing some action that I guess are making trouble to ntp.
> Actualy my computer is playing audiofiles throught a special audio board.
> I don't know why it affect ntp client, but it does....
>
> I also have a problem when we start the computers in the morning, in
> this case the server need some time to accept client request + client
> need time to adjust there clock.
>
> What I was wondering, is how Meinberg Time Server Monitor is doing to
> know the "offset" (ntpq is also getting this information).
> If i could have a way to get this in C source code, then I will handle
> easily this issue.
> Do you know how I can proceed to get "offset" value in a source code?
>
> Regards.
>
> Benjamin
=====================================

Be aware that enabling and disabling the Multi-Media timer on Windows
can lead to time steps in the order of tens of milliseconds.  Best to
keep the MM timer running by configuring NTP appropriately.  NTP works
best when kept running 24 x 7.

In your case, I would now suggest getting a low-powered PC (e.g. Intel
Atom) and leave that running 24 x 7 with a GPS reference clock such as
the Garmin GPS 18x LVC or Sure Electronics board, as mentioned on my Web
site.  Given that you get an extra PC, run FreeBSD on it rather than
Windows.

Cheers,
David
--