[ntp:questions] NTP client configuration

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Sep 27 22:00:09 UTC 2012

Benjamin CABUT wrote:

> Because the problem happen on one client only, when this client computer
> is doing some action that I guess are making trouble to ntp.
> Actualy my computer is playing audiofiles throught a special audio board.
> I don't know why it affect ntp client, but it does....

OK, The  problem is on the client, not the server.  I guess you have
something that is locking out interrupts for so long that it loses clock
ticks (the errors will always be negative).  That represents a poor
device driver or inadequate hardware.

ntpd is not designed for working round software clock implementations
that are broken, although by setting fast polling, setting the tinker
option for a short confirmation interval, and setting the offset after
which it will step low, you might coax it to tolerate the problem a bit
better.  (Setting the poll interval low will give poor frequency stability.)

By the way, your subject isn't close to summarising the real question
and Meinberg don't do an ntpd implementation, they simply provide a
Windows installer for the University of Delaware (the Reference) version.