[ntp:questions] high jitter on serial gps causes big time offsets

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at verizon.net
Sat Apr 6 11:18:33 UTC 2013

I would test the local clock before relying on it for time.  In the bad old
days, around year 2000, when I first started processing SETI at Home (S at H) work
units (WUs), I could actually see that WUs were being processed faster in
the cool early morning hours than they were in the hot afternoons.  The
caveat is that an Intel tech support rep denied that that was possible.  In
any case, many others have commented on this list that the timing crystals
installed in typical motherboards vary significantly with temperature.  If
you price timing crystals with guaranteed accuracy you may well believe that
they don't install them in typical motherboards; they cost at least as much.

Charles Elliott