[ntp:questions] high jitter on serial gps causes big time offsets

website.reader3 at gmail.com website.reader3 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 19:47:32 UTC 2013

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:18:33 AM UTC-7, Charles Elliott wrote:
> I would test the local clock before relying on it for time.  In the bad old
> days, around year 2000, when I first started processing SETI at Home (S at H) work
> units (WUs), I could actually see that WUs were being processed faster in
> the cool early morning hours than they were in the hot afternoons.  The
> caveat is that an Intel tech support rep denied that that was possible.  In
> any case, many others have commented on this list that the timing crystals
> installed in typical motherboards vary significantly with temperature.  If
> you price timing crystals with guaranteed accuracy you may well believe that
> they don't install them in typical motherboards; they cost at least as much.

I can obtain some precision crystals (+/- 2ppm) for about $8 to $10, so why aren't they being added to the mid-level and up motherboards?

It is disgusting to buy a motherboard, load it with graphics processors, and memory and then find that the whole thing cannot keep time.  I consider time keeping THE most neglected component in computer motherboards today.