[ntp:questions] ntpdate function

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Mon Apr 15 16:48:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-15, Jacek Igalson <jacek.igalson> wrote:
> In fact, I have used offset,
> delay is recorded by the way.
> It indicates how asymmetric might be the trip.

No. It says nothing about the asymmetry. Just about the delay. Now you
might make the assumption that a longer delay is probably a delay in
only one leg of the path, implying asymmetry (which is what ntpd does in
its clock filter algorithm) and that might often be a reasonable
assumption, expecially if the delay is is say twice as long as usual, it
is often a very bad assumption for slightly longer delays.