[ntp:questions] Synchronizing against a free-running server

detha detha at foad.co.za
Mon Apr 15 17:43:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:53:42 +0000, unruh wrote:

> Would it not have been better to leave the bad solution in place and tell
> the higherups that win32time simply cannot be made to work? The problem
> with the good-enough kludge is that it is the enemy of the better.

You are right Bill. Often happens, but in this case the technical manager
in charge has a clue or two. This is only the first site in this
configuration, and I'm surprised they didn't spec an external time source.
For the next 15 or so I'll put together a simple 1U box with a
power supply, Soekris or Raspberry board, a GPS receiver and a ton of
surge suppressors hidden in it. Just need time to get something together,
and get it past finance.

-d