[ntp:questions] linuxpps help

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 21:14:13 UTC 2013

Hi all:

I'm trying to get linuxpps to work, but running into a shortage of
documentation for debugging when it doesn't.  It seems nearly everything on
the web says, hook it up, load the module, and run ppstest to see it work.
 But if ppstest throws errors, there doesn't seem to be much help if it
doesn't.

I've run ldattach 18, I've got /dev/pps0 and /sys/class/pps/pps0/*:

[root at time pps0]# cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/*
0.000000000#0
1366403456.999216806#183
249:0
1
1133
serial0
/dev/ttyS0
cat: /sys/class/pps/pps0/power: Is a directory
cat: /sys/class/pps/pps0/subsystem: Is a directory
MAJOR=249
MINOR=0
DEVNAME=pps0

When I try and run ppstest, I get this error, which google returns nothing
useful:
[root at time pps0]# ppstest /dev/pps0
trying PPS source "/dev/pps0"
found PPS source "/dev/pps0"
ok, found 1 source(s), now start fetching data...
time_pps_fetch() error -1 (Connection timed out)
time_pps_fetch() error -1 (Connection timed out)

I can find no further information on how to troubleshoot this, nor anything
that intuitively makes sense.  How can I figure out why PPS isn't working?

Thanks!
--Jim