[ntp:questions] NTP with GPS and RTC

Biebaut Sven sven.biebaut at be.thalesgroup.com
Mon Apr 22 08:01:05 UTC 2013

Hello,

on an (x86-based) embedded linux system I would like to synchronize with ntp to a GPS.
When the GPS is present, the local time is updated.
However I would also like that when thus synchronized, that my RTC is also updated, and vice versa, when unsynchronized, that my local time is kept in line with my RTC (that was chosen for precision).

I searched the web far and wide and found staments that both the kernel (every 11 minutes) and ntp ( every 60 minutes) would update the RTC. Unfortunately, I never found documentation or manuals that actually confirm this and how to activate/deactivate one or the other, neither if these staments apply on all or on some versions of ntp or the linux kernel.

My configuration is ntp 4.2.6p2 and my linux kernel is 2.6.34 .

Any help on how this is achieveable is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sven

Sven Biebaut
Senior Software Engineer