[ntp:questions] NTP with GPS and RTC

Biebaut Sven sven.biebaut at be.thalesgroup.com
Fri Apr 26 12:25:45 UTC 2013

Hello,

thank you for these enlightening explanations.

The idea behind using the RTC as reference clock was that it would drift less than the local clock for the periods without external synchronisation.

If I drop the idea of the RTC as a reference clock, am I correct in stating that, when there is no external synchronisation:
- my local clock and my RTC will drift away from each other, but at least my RTC will be closer to the mark (the DS3231 is chosen for its precision)
- the kernel stops updating the RTC
- there is no other existing mechanism that disciplines the local system clock

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Sven Biebaut
Senior Software Engineer