[ntp:questions] NTP with GPS and RTC

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Apr 27 20:00:40 UTC 2013

On 27/04/2013 17:37, unruh wrote:
[]
> Try altering the ntpd drift file (eg representing say 2 days of outage,
> not 10 seconds or what used to happen is that Linux's boot recalibration
> of the clock would jump by 10s of PPM on each reboot).
>
> Subract 20 from that value and then start it again.
[]
NTP wasn't designed to be switched on and off like that.  Having said
that, we have had power outages of a couple of hours and NTP has
restarted promptly.  I use NTP on my portable PCs and netbook, and it
performs adequately well there.  I'm not expecting them to be
micro-second synced, though.

The PC I cited was down for about 30 minutes, by the way, not 10
seconds.  It was powered off for hardware changes, but as the clock was
unaltered, the previous drift value was quite close.
--
Cheers,
David