[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Aug 12 21:38:59 UTC 2013

Olo Burrows wrote:
[...]
> Event Viewer was reporting a missing dependency of libeay.dll with
> VC90 (machine is at the shop and on an isolated network, so message
> is from memory).

VC90 sounds like the Visual Studio compiler's runtime library.

Older versions of NTP were built using old Visual C 6, and VC6's runtime
library is AFAIK deployed with all Windows versions starting with Win
NT, maybe with some service pack.

NTP 4.2.6 and newer can't be built with VC6 anymore. The new standard
compiler for Windows is Visual Studio 2008.

A known issue is that you have to install the VS2008 runtime e.g. on Win
XP, but I though those runtime libraries were installed on all newer
Windows versions. However, recently I heard about another case where
this obviously hadn't happened, and manually installation of the VS2008
runtime did the trick.

> I uninstalled ntp and re-installed it without
> OpenSSL support, then it complained about the missing SSL support.
> Catch-22.

The NTP service relies on some openSSL functions, so it can't be used
without openSSL DLLs installed.

> Regardless of the SSL issue the only consistent error message is that
> ntp refused to start in a timely manner, which is evidenced by its
> refusal to start period, but I can't pinpoint why. The firewall has
> exceptions, in fact I even disabled the firewall temporarily and that
> didn't change anything. I've given the ntp user ownership and full
> access permissions to that directory tree, no good. I've uninstalled
> and rebooted and tried a number of tweaks, all to no avail. I'm out
> of ideas and time at this point.

This is probably due to unresolved symbols due to the missing VS2008
runtime library.

> In the past year I have installed the Meinberg ntp distribution on a
> few other 64-bit Windows Server 2008 machines as well as a number of
> 32-bit machines all without trouble. If I can't get it running on
> this one I'll have to rely on another ntp server on the target
> network and hope that Windows sntp can sync this machine to that
> source.

I bet this was NTP 4.2.4p8 or older, compiled with VC6, or older Windows
installations did install the VS2008 runtime, as I was assuming.

> Thanks for any pointers to troubleshooting this.

Unless I'm totally wrong it should help to install the missing runtime
libraries from the Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29

This is also mentioned in the "Note" section on our download page, but
actually this says the runtime library was only required for older
windows XP versions, which obviously isn't true anymore:
http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki