[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Aug 13 13:10:27 UTC 2013

On 13/08/2013 13:44, Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> Take care if you have also installed some stuff from David Taylor. This
> is perfectly fine but AFAIK David uses VS2010, so there may be
> dependencies on the VS2010 runtime from David's binaries, and
> dependencies on the VS2008 runtime from Meinberg's binaries.
>
> Martin
===================================

Martin, you raise a good point.  Yes, mune are compiled with VS2010, and
I've never had to install extra runtime DLLs to get NTP working, but may
of my PCs run other software as well which /may/ have installed them.  I
seem to recall that on several out-of-the-box Windows-8 installs, your
recent 4.2.6p5 "London" version installed without the need for any extra
DLLs, and my locally-compiled 4.2.7p development versions could be
written over the top of your install without issues (SSL dependency
excepted).  Lots of others have used your install without issues, and
many have used my updates as well.

When I read your posting, I was concerned and did look at ntpd.exe and
ntpq.exe from my versions with Depends On, and I could only find a
reference to MSVCRT.dll, and that only through the referenced system
DLLs.  Perhaps MSVCRT.dll gets updated with the different Visual Studio
updates.

On my XP system MSVCRT.dll is 343,040 bytes, modified 14-Apr-2008.

On a Windows-7/64 PC, the MSVCRT.dll is a 64-bit DLL (even though
ntpd.exe is a 32-bit program), 634,880 bytes, modified 16-Dec-2011.

Of course, maybe the other MS VC runtime DLLs are dynamically
referenced.  If this is a genuine concern, I would certainly like to
have it well-documented.
--
Cheers,
David