[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Aug 13 14:43:05 UTC 2013

David Taylor wrote:
> On 13/08/2013 13:44, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> []
>> Take care if you have also installed some stuff from David Taylor. This
>> is perfectly fine but AFAIK David uses VS2010, so there may be
>> dependencies on the VS2010 runtime from David's binaries, and
>> dependencies on the VS2008 runtime from Meinberg's binaries.
>>
>> Martin
> ===================================
>
> Martin, you raise a good point.  Yes, mune are compiled with VS2010, and
> I've never had to install extra runtime DLLs to get NTP working, but may
> of my PCs run other software as well which /may/ have installed them.  I
> seem to recall that on several out-of-the-box Windows-8 installs, your
> recent 4.2.6p5 "London" version installed without the need for any extra
> DLLs, and my locally-compiled 4.2.7p development versions could be
> written over the top of your install without issues (SSL dependency
> excepted).  Lots of others have used your install without issues, and
> many have used my updates as well.

One other point is the OpenSSL library.

If I remember correctly the OpenSSL package can be built with different
compiler packages. If the source code references the compiler's runtime
library then there may also be a dependency to the particular version of
the runtime library.

An ntpd binary from our package built with VS2008 requires the VS2008
runtime to start. However, it also uses the libeay32 DLL. So if someone
copies a libeay32.dll version you have built with VS2010 from the same
version of the OpenSSL source code then ntpd will probably work with it,
but as a secondary dependency it may require the VS2010 runtime for
libeay32.dll.

I haven't tried this, it's just a potential problem.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren