[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Aug 13 16:17:56 UTC 2013

On 13/08/2013 15:43, Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> One other point is the OpenSSL library.
>
> If I remember correctly the OpenSSL package can be built with different
> compiler packages. If the source code references the compiler's runtime
> library then there may also be a dependency to the particular version of
> the runtime library.
>
> An ntpd binary from our package built with VS2008 requires the VS2008
> runtime to start. However, it also uses the libeay32 DLL. So if someone
> copies a libeay32.dll version you have built with VS2010 from the same
> version of the OpenSSL source code then ntpd will probably work with it,
> but as a secondary dependency it may require the VS2010 runtime for
> libeay32.dll.
>
> I haven't tried this, it's just a potential problem.
>
> Martin
==============================

Thanks, Martin.  This is noted on my NTP for Windows page:

OpenSSL version issue

Earlier versions of the Meinberg NTP were distributed with OpenSSL
0.9.8, and later versions with 1.1.0c.  However, we have found that if
you compile with 0.9.8k the resulting NTP executable files will not run
on a system with the 1.1.0c DLLs, and vice-versa.  The working
compromise appears to be to get version 1.0.0c OpenSSL, as the resulting
.EXE files will run on systems with either OpenSSL DLLs.  Thanks to Dave
Hart, I managed to locate a copy of this version, which I have placed here.

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Win32OpenSSL-1_0_0c.zip

It seemed to be the best approach at the time, allowing trouble-free
upgrades.
--
Cheers,
David