[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Aug 14 05:23:46 UTC 2013

On 14/08/2013 04:01, Danny Mayer wrote:
[]
> NTP doesn't own the OpenSSL sources so we don't distribute it. People
> can get their own if they want it.

Yes, I have included the necessary information on my Web site.

> OpenSSL is not build correctly for proper versioning. It needs to use
> fixed ordinals for each entry point in a .def file that gets updated as
> new entry points are added but that's not being done. Microsoft does
> this correctly but it's not generally done as it is a painful chore
> setting it up and maintaining it correctly. VMS always did this right.

That's a pity - in the DLLs I've written I've always used the "Entry
point by name" convention.

> You don't need to share the DLL's. As long as the DLL's are in the same
> directory as the .exe files and are in their own directory, the O/S will
> look in the same directory first when the .exe needs the dll's. It's not
> hard to do.
>
> Danny

.. and this what the Meinberg installer does. However, some earlier
installs have the SSL DLLs in the Windows\System32 directory, which
means that you may not know whether other software is using them and,
should they be in use, they can't be replaced with a simple file copy.

Anyway, I think we've said enough now to at least warn people about
potential problems in this area.  I wonder whether the OP's issue was
resolved?
--
Cheers,
David