[ntp:questions] Start of new GPS 1024 week epoch

David Malone dwmalone at walton.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Aug 14 13:31:57 UTC 2013

unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> writes:

>Surely if the receiver is delivering the wrong date, it is the receiver
>manufacturer that needs to make the changes, not ntp, including sending
>you a new receiver if necessary. Warrenty limits notwithstanding, this
>fails that "fitness for purpose" test, and you could hardly have
>detected it when you bought it.

Certainly - though the company I bought mine from is long gone, and
I wanted more time to think about replacement options.

>Except of course if the rd_timestamp.l_i is way out (that is why one
>would want to use a gps clock to fix it-- eg on bootup with the
>Raspberry Pi say),

Indeed - you need to have a timestamp within about ten years of
correct before you start up, otherwise the problem will be worse.
Ntp has the same problem in figuring out the ntp epoch, though we've
yet to see an ntp timestamp wrap around.

	David.