[ntp:questions] Order of servers in ntp.conf

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Aug 15 21:00:26 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-15, unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:

> On 2013-08-15, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 42 lines snipped |=---]
>
>> The mitigation algorithm proceeds in three steps in turn.
>>
>> 1. If there are no survivors, the modem driver becomes the only
>> survivor if there is one. If not, the local driver becomes the only
>> survivor if there is one. If not, the orphan parent becomes the only
>> survivor if there is one. If the number of survivors at this point
>> is less than the minsane option of the tos command, the algorithm
>> is terminated and the system variables remain unchanged. Note that
>> minsane is by default 1, but can be set at any value including 0.
>
> ] This is ambiguous.

Seems pretty straightforward to me ...

if (survivors == NULL) {
	if exists(modem) {
		survivors = "modem"
	} elseif exists(undisciplined_local_clock) {
		survivors = "undisciplined_local_clock"
	} elseif exists(orphan_parent) {
		survivors = "orphan_parent"
	}
}

abort if (count(survivors) < minsane)

> If no survivors-> local/orphan. If suvivors<minsane
> (which is almost always true if no survivors)-> unchanged.
> If I set minsane to 100 and have only 5 peers, what happens? Is
> local/orphan used or is nothing changed.

You can break almost anything if you grossly misconfigure it.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>