[ntp:questions] Strange jumps in PPM

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Thu Aug 22 00:52:31 UTC 2013

On 8/21/2013 17:07, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> I'd love to see NTP be able to query and use this sort of information.
>
> Several of the NMEA sentences have fix quality,
>   for binary Refclock drivers if the feature exists,
>   there is sure to be packets that include the fix quality.
>
> I guess we'd have to look at the driver source to see if
>   if make use of any of the fix quality fields.
>
> Of the messages it appears the NMEA driver supports,
>   GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGLL, GPZDG, PGRMF
>    Have some variety of detail of Fix Quality
>
>   GPZDA Does NOT have fix quality
>
>    So the advantage of using _only_ ZDA's compact / short sentence
>     to get date & time, is slightly devalued by not getting any
>     quality indications?

Unfortunately this doesn't help the ATOM driver.  In my case I have to
feed PPS in separately via ATOM.  So going back to the original
suggestion by Mike, having a way to feed information about nominal
system behavior directly to the driver would be great.