[ntp:questions] Start of new GPS 1024 week epoch

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Aug 24 16:08:04 UTC 2013

On 23/08/2013 15:08, Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> Indeed. I've just enabled the SHM refclock in the config.h file for
> Windows, tried to build it with VS2008, and found that it builds after I
> had fixed a tiny bug, a missing semicolon.
>
> However, I have also no idea if it works.
>
> David, if you want to give it a try you can simply unpack the current
> -dev version. Then:
>
> 1.) Open the solution (.sln file) in Visual Studio
>
> 2.) Open the file ports\winnt\include\config.h, search for CLOCK_SHM,
> and change the line
>
> #undef CLOCK_SHM

> #define CLOCK_SHM
>
> 3.) Edit ntpd/refclock_shm.c and look around line 177. There is a line
> starting with
>
> msyslog(LOG_ERR, "SHM MapViewOfFile ...
>
> and at the end of this line a semicolon is missing. Just add it and the
> project should at least compile.
>
> As said above, don't know if it works, though, and don't know if there
> is another program which can feed the SHM driver under Windows.
>
> If this turns out to work I can submit the fix to the code base.
>
> Martin

Martin,

Thanks for that - the start of good news, I hope.  I can confirm your
findings - as-supplied, there is an error in ntpd/refclock_shm.c which
prevent compilation, but that's easily fixed just as you described and I
also now have an ntpd.exe which has compiled correctly.  The fault
should certainly have a bug-report submitted.

Unfortunately, I don't have any programs which could write into shared
memory, so perhaps we would need to find a simple driver (the NMEA seems
an possible choice to me as many devices can drive that) and convert it
to shared memory operation.  I have a non-critical Windows XP box I
could test on.  Would the first step, though, be to see a FreeBSD or
Linux driver converted and working in SHM mode, and then provide similar
modifications to the Windows driver?

Cheers,
David
--