[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Dec 4 23:32:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-04, antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com <antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm posting using google groups, hope this is not causing trouble (haven't got my main PC now).

The problem with google groups is a) Many have filtered it out because
of spam so your audience is smaller, and b) it inserts a blank line
between every line of text it quotes, making threads raplidly unreadable
for everyone else. It may hide this from you, I donot know.

> Something strange is happening. Since I disabled power saving the two servers which were not syncing have been ok, always synced and the drift file was stable even though a little high on one server (-258 on one server, -58 on another).

-258 IS pretty high. On what kind of machine? What operating system?

> I kept monitoring the drift file, but it was stable.
>
> The other day I restarted the service because the log file was not being updated anymore.
>
> Now all three servers are properly syncing as before, and the logs are back. But the server which had a drift file of -258 is now showing -1 and the one which was showing -58 is now showing -2. The third server has not changed its drift file, it's still around 21.
> I restarted the service 3-4 days ago, so the drift file should have stabilised by now.

The computer has to calibrate the timer interrupts on bootup. That
calibration can be variable. For older versions of the Linux kernel that
calibration was very variable, of the order that  you are seeing. That
seems to have been fixed on the more recent kernels.