[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 6 15:52:33 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 13:15, Brian Inglis wrote:
[]
> I have automated the saving and restoring of drift files with good values
> to replace drift files with bad values at startup, as the calibration on
> Windows is way off, and it's often quicker to restart than wait many hours
> ordays.
> Possibly because MS disclaims timing within 2 seconds as an unreasonable
> goal under Windows, and none of the Windows timing interfaces really are
> good enough for NTP.
> The hardware could be if it was used properly, but what Windows does with
> timers makes them unreliable black boxes.
[]

Although with a PPS source Windows can be in the hundred microsecond region:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php#windows-stratum-1

and within a few milliseconds when using a stratum-1 reference over the LAN:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php#windows

--
Cheers,
David